Can I change university after 1st year - title

Can I change university after 1st year? How to do it?

After you have wrapped up your first year at university, you might ponder, “Can I transfer to a different university after my first year?” Whether it’s due to personal reasons, a change in academic interests, or just a craving for a new environment, transferring universities is a path tread by many. But how does this process work? What are the differences in different countries? 

What are the most important things to consider when changing universities?

Students reflecting on transfering to another university
©sven hendrix / DALL-E

You must consider four key aspects when you ask, “Can I change university after 1st year?”: Eligibility criteria, application process, credit transfer, and financial aid transfer.

Eligibility Criteria

In the United States, universities typically require a certain GPA and good academic standing for transfer applications. On the other hand, European universities may emphasize specific course completions or entrance examinations, depending on the country and institution.

Application Process

You must find out how the college application process works when you transfer from another University. It might differ from the standard application procedure for new students.

Credit Transfer

You need to know how many credits will transfer to your new university? Sometimes, you can’t transfer all your credits. This is crucial as it impacts your graduation timeline.

Financial aid transfer

A college student contemplating to change university after 1st year
©sven hendrix / DALL-E

If you’re on financial aid, you will need to contact student finance to understand the implications of your transfer. Ensure you have clarity on the funding for your new course at the new university. 

You must check whether you are allowed to transfer your funding to another university. You must contact the university or your student finance company to understand how your funding will apply to your new institution.

As a transfer student, it’s essential to grasp the nuances of the transfer process. This journey from one university to another involves several steps, from understanding transfer credit and transfer funding policies to preparing your transfer application.

Differences between the US and Europe when you change university after year one

In both the US and Europe, transferring universities after the first year involves considering eligibility criteria, credit transfer, and the application process. The process tends to be more standardized in the US, while in Europe, it can vary greatly depending on the country and specific educational system. In Europe, there might be additional language requirements (tests, certificates) when transferring to another country.

Can I change university after 1st year in the US?

College student reflecting on changing college after the first year
©sven hendrix / DALL-E

Yes. Transferring to a different university after the first year is a common and well-supported process in the United States. 

Understanding the transfer requirements of the colleges you’re interested in is crucial. Each institution has its own admission requirements, including a minimum GPA, specific course completions, and an official high school transcript.

Students considering this move must first meet the eligibility criteria set by the prospective university, which typically includes maintaining a certain GPA and being in good academic standing. 

The process involves researching and understanding the transfer policies of the target institution, as each university in the US may have its own specific requirements and deadlines. 

An essential part of this transition is the credit transfer system; students must ascertain which of their completed credits will be accepted by the new university to ensure they can continue their education without significant delays. Most US universities have dedicated transfer advisors and comprehensive guidelines to assist students through this process, making it relatively streamlined.

Eligibility and application as a transfer student in the US 

In the US, students often transfer after their sophomore year, but first-year transfers are first-year transfers are indeed possible and not uncommon. You’ll need:

  • A solid GPA (usually above 2.5, but the higher, the better).
  • SAT/ACT scores or other test scores (some schools might waive this for transfers).
  • College or university transcripts and high school records.
  • Letters of recommendation and a compelling reason for transferring.
  • Paying any application fee

If you’re in your second year or beyond, it’s crucial to ensure that the credits will transfer to your new university and also align with your desired academic year – especially when you are pursuing a similar course or a slightly different course at a different college. Otherwise, your time to finish might be prolonged.

Credit Transfer in the US

Students discussing university credit transfer after changing universities
©sven hendrix / DALL-E

It’s essential to inquire if the new institution will accept transfer credits, especially if you’re changing course programs after the switch from one university to another. Each university in the US has its own policy for credit transfers. 

Generally, they’ll evaluate your courses on a case-by-case basis to see if they match their curriculum. It’s a good idea to check in advance with the prospective university.

Financial Aid in the US – is it transferable?

If you are on financial aid, you ask your funder, “Can I change University after 1st year and also transfer my financial support?” Some scholarships or grants are not transferable, and financial aid packages can vary significantly from one institution to another. Thus, you might get reduced financial support after the transfer – or none!

As a transfer student, you might need to apply for financial aid at the new institution or manage a student loan. 

Can I Change University After 1st Year in Europe?

University student considering college transfer after first year
©sven hendrix / DALL-E

Yes. Transferring to a different university after the first year in Europe can be more complex than in the US, primarily due to the diversity of educational systems across European countries. This is especially true when transferring to a University in another European country.

However, the process is more centralized in many European countries than in the US. Countries like the UK have platforms like UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) that streamline the process. A UCAS application is essential when you want to study at another university in the UK.

However, such centralized systems are not present in all European countries.

Each country, and often each university, has its own rules and criteria for accepting transfer students. These criteria may include not only academic performance but also language proficiency tests, especially for programs taught in the native language of the country. 

The credit transfer process can be particularly challenging, as there is no uniform European system; the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) provides a framework, but its application can vary. 

Students need to conduct thorough research and possibly contact both their current and prospective universities to understand the specific requirements and procedures for transferring, which can differ significantly from one institution to another.

Eligibility and application as a transfer student in Europe 

College students discussing application procedures to switch universities
©sven hendrix / DALL-E

Transferring universities after the first year in Europe is possible but can vary greatly depending on the country and institution. You’ll typically need:

  • A strong academic record, with emphasis on relevant coursework and grades. 
  • Proof of language proficiency, especially if the program is in a different language than your current course of study. 
  • Official transcripts of the university and sometimes secondary education records. 
  • Letters of recommendation and/or a personal statement explaining your reasons for transferring are critical to your transfer application. It should reflect your reasons for wanting to change schools and how the new course aligns with your career goals.
  • Awareness of specific entrance exams or additional requirements unique to the country or university you’re applying to.
  • Credit Transfer in Europe: The ECTS System

Europe generally follows the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS), which makes credit transfer relatively smoother across European universities. However, you must ensure your credits align with the new program. Check the country-specific ECTS regulations.

What is the ECTS system?

Students reflecting on university credit transfer after changing universities
©sven hendrix / DALL-E

The ECTS system is a standardized method used in European higher education to compare academic credits and facilitate the transfer of students between institutions. It is based on the ECTS grading scale

ECTS is integral to the Bologna Process, aiming to make international student mobility easier by providing a clear framework for recognizing study periods abroad and academic achievements. The system quantifies the volume of learning based on the workload required to achieve the objectives of a program, with one academic year typically equating to 60 ECTS credits.

Can I convert ECTS credits to US credits?

If you have already studied in Europe and want to continue your studies in the US, you must have your ECTS credits converted into American credits:

Typically, the exchange ratio from ECTS to US American credits is 2 ECTS for every 1 US credit, so 60 ECTS credits are generally equivalent to 30 US credits. Nonetheless, this conversion rate can differ since various universities in the US might adopt distinct credit systems. When changing to a US university, you must get more information about academic credits in the US.

Financial Aid in Europe – is it transferable?

When considering transferring universities in Europe, it’s crucial to ask your funding body, how to change university after 1st year and how to transfer the financial support. The transferability of scholarships, grants, or other forms of financial aid can significantly differ across European countries and institutions. 

Many scholarships or bursaries are specific to the institution or country. 

There’s a possibility that you may not retain the same level of financial support after transferring. 

Language Requirements in Europe: Is a language test necessary when changing to a different university??

Considering the different languages in Europe, you might need to prove proficiency in the language of instruction at your new university. This often involves language tests or certificates.

Seeking Advice from Academic Advisors

Don’t hesitate to seek guidance from your academic advisor or international advisor at your current college. They can provide detailed information and help you make an informed decision.

Planning Your Transfer: When to Make the Move?

Timing is key. You might want to join the second or third year at the new university, but this requires planning. Some students transfer direct after their first term, while others might complete at least one year or more at their current one before making the move.

Preparing for the End of the Year Transfer

If you plan to transfer at the end of the year (thus, for the next academic year), start preparing early. This includes researching transfer admission deadlines and requirements for your intended degree program. 

If you are considering a transfer, one semester of preparation might be necessary because getting all the information and applying for a transfer may take time. However, it might prolong your study time unnecessarily.

What are the reasons for changing universities after the first year?

There are many reasons why students might consider changing universities after the first year. Some common reasons include:

Academic reasons: You may find that their current university is not a good fit for your academic interests or that they would prefer to pursue a different major. You might want to transfer because you seek a course at a different university that better aligns with your career aspirations. 

You might be interested in similar fields and switch, for example, between medicine, dentistry, or life sciences or between pharmacology and pharmacy. 

Consider how transferring will impact your career path and future career. The new university should align with your long-term goals and offer relevant course experience.

Personal reasons: You may want to switch due to personal reasons for wanting to change universities, such as being closer to family or friends, wanting to live in a different city, or having financial difficulties.

Financial reasons: Community college students often have the option to transfer to a four-year college. For many, transferring from a community college to a four-year college is a strategic move. They often benefit from smaller classes and lower tuition fees at another school before moving to a larger university.

Social reasons: You may not be happy with the college experience or social scene at your current university or may feel like you don’t fit in. Adjusting to college life at a new college can be challenging but exciting. 

Transferring means adapting to a new school and possibly a different college culture. It’s an opportunity to make new friends and explore different aspects of university life.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q: Is transferring right for me?

A: The decision to transfer colleges should not be taken lightly. It’s a significant step impacting your academic journey and future career path substantially.

Q: Can I transfer to any university I want? 

A: No. While you can apply to any university, acceptance depends on meeting their specific transfer criteria. 

When you decide to transfer from one institution to another, it’s crucial to understand the transfer application process. Each college or university has its own set of rules and requirements for transfer applicants.

Q: Will all my credits transfer? 

A: No, not necessarily. It depends on how closely your courses align with the new program’s curriculum.

Q: Does transferring universities extend my graduation timeline? 

A: It can, especially if many of your credits don’t transfer.


I have used AI systems, including Grammarly, Google Bard, and ChatGPT, to enhance the English and comprehensiveness of this article. This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a small commission if you decide to purchase through my link. Thus, you support smartsciencecareer at no cost to you!

Recommended reading

The following articles may also interest you: 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.